Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 28, 2013

We usually hear from Elder Mackelprang on Mondays but this week he finally emailed on Wednesday. Transfers were today but he is staying in Marin, Kentucky and he has the same companion! He is very excited! Here's his email :D

So.... I got Bronchitis... AINT NO BODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!! hahaha
Last week was so depressing and not fun at all! Started out Monday with a stomach virus.. Stayed on the B.R.A.T. diet all week! ( I might have added a few letters here and there... so it was more like the B.R.A.W.T.S.C.O. diet :P) about Wendesday my stomach started feeling a little better but I was having a hard time breathing. My breathes were short and sometimes painful. i couldn't take any full deep breathes. I thought it was my small heart murmur finally coming out to get me. Talked to Sister Chloe and Doctor Dunn, who are the mission doctors, and after sitting through it for a few days they told me to go in to the Pikeville hospital and get it checked on Saturday. The nurse messed up on my IV! She stabbed me in my left arm and kept pushing and moving the needle around while saying "I don't know what's happening"... Flip! And then she went for my right arm! haha but she finally got it right. Elder Stout was just having the time of his life while I was being probed left and right because the tv in our room was playing ESPN... i told him he better soak in that tender mercy haha The machine was beeping the entire time while Elder Stout and I waited for the doctor. We weren't sure what was wrong because there were a ton of different numbers on the screen. So we kept pushing a button that would stop it from beeping :P Turns out that my heartrate was only 48-52! Crazy right?! The doctors said it was fine and that it was so low because I have a healthy athletic heart. haha 48 seems way too low tho! They told me i had bronchitis which is why i could hardly breathe and they gave me an inhaler. It's not doing much but i have the antibiotics that Mom and Dad gave me before I left and they are working great! Also taking Zyrtec because my allergies here are a lot worse. I'm back to working now and I'm happy again :) After we left the hospital the sisters who serve in Pikeville made us some vegetable soup so we all had lunch at a near by park and it was great! Transfers is this week and they both won't be in our district anymore so that is a bummer. We have learned a lot from them and their example!
Transfers week is crazy. The zone leaders called Elder Stout and I and before telling us our transfer news, they played some intense scary music, and then screamed "You're staying together!!" haha in return Elder Stout and I screamed "YAAY" like little boys. It was great. We are staying in Martin which is cool because I know we can have a lot of success in bringing others unto Christ here. We are ready to make this transfer 10 times better! Oh and he will be the district leader! Pretty excited to learn from that and help him in any way possible.
President Pitt gave us a talk to read "Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ" by Elder Gene Cook. That talk got me out of the depressed slump I was in. I had faith but I was so discouraged from the week I had. Here is some stuff that I've learned and understand more from that talk. Faith doesn't come from signs. Ether 12:6 tells us that we don't gain a witness (or sign) until after the trial of our faith. Not until after we have been working hard, being faithful and believing, will we see signs of success. Whether it is being a missionary, parent, or an employee, we must do ALL IN OUR POWER to do our part. Once we do all that we can, the Lord will only then extend His hand and do His part in helping us. Blessings come with a price. Before we ask for blessings we need to ask ourself- "Hey Self, will I be willing to work hard and sacrifice to gain the blessing that I desire?" Joseph Smith said: "It is throught the medium of the sacrifice of all Earthly things that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God." Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will support us in our trials and give us the righteous desires that we have if we are fully committed and ready to sacrifice in order to receive what we want. Acting on faith waiting for signs that you will be blessed doesn't work well. We need to act in faith and make things happen ourselves and then in the end we will have that sign or blessing from the Lord.
Life is nonstop. it's an upstream battle. We have to be spiritually prepared to face the constant and intense trials of our faith. D&C 58:4 "For after much tribulation come the blessings". Always move forward and upward! We can't afford to take a break and rest, meaning plateauing our progression. If we go through trials full of faith, then our faith will increase and the blessings come soon after. When you want to stop swimming up the stream, progressing and living this gospel because it can be hard, just remember what Dory said in Finding nemo "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming!" It takes sacrifice and complete faith in Christ to do this.
Faith + Hardwork (steadfastness in Christ) = making things happen. The Lord will make great things happen and bless us if we apply that equation into our lives. I've rearranged my priorities so much here. D&C 123:17 "Therefore let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power, and then may we stand still with the utmost assurrance to see the salvation of God, and for His arm to be revealed." It is easy to get lost and distracted in things of little importance. Stay focus and righteously prioritize!
I grabbed my scriptures this morning and a paper was sticking out of my Bible. I opened up to it and it was 1Peter chapter 1. I don't think I have ever read that chapter before but it was perfect for everything that I was going through. Read it!
verses 6-9 " Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that persisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having seen not, ye love. In whom though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your soul" The season it talks about is our probation, or short time, here on Earth. Our faith is precious and it will be tried. It is of more worth than gold! If we keep the faith and always improve and move forward, then like it says, you will rejoice and at the end you will gain the salvation of your soul! verse 13 tells us to armor our minds and have hope for grace. Be an obedient child of God. Be holy just as Christ is holy. read Versus 22-24. I like 24 which says "all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away." Don't seek glory for yourself. I've learned that boasting of God brings so much more joy!
I love this gospel. Remember that the trial of your faith precedes salvation. Salvation and eternal happiness is what we want! So bear through your trials, being full of faith and committment to God, and you can have exactly that!
I'm starving so we are about to go. have a great week everyone and I'm always praying for Las Vegas! Transfers stinks because I'll miss Elder Turner (current district leader) a lot! I look up to him and will miss his craziness and his love for everyone. I'll miss Sister Larkin, Sister Shumway, and Elder Heart as well. It's a bittersweet how close you get to other missionaries in only 6 weeks and some get transferred. Oh and next weeks pics should be even better haha I have somethign awesome in mind ;D Love you all, have a great week!
-Elder Mackdaddy 





Not feeling to good...






Miss this kid!






Poor Elder! :(
Glad he is okay now!





"Super foggy day that killed my allergies!"






"Creepy house by our trailer."






"You can call me puff daddy for now."















Rockin the over-alls! 
Love it!
I'm glad he has an awesome companion who understands his goofiness!










What a great email! I miss this kid everyday but he inspires me to be a better person 
and to live righteously. 
 
Thanks for reading my posts! I appreciate it and so does Elder Mackelprang.
Write him! He would love to hear from you!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment