Monday, December 16, 2013

It's so cold!

Sorry...I'm behind again!
Here's the pictures and emails. He is doing great and I can't wait to hear from him next week. We get to find out what time we get to SKYPE him!!  I get to see both of my brothers for Christmas! So excited :D Enjoy!
 
Tell mom to send me my swim shorts! It rained so hard last week! The storm rose the creek behind our trailer to a very uncomfortably high height. I thought we were going to get flooded out!
We went to Ashland, KY for a Zone Meeting and when we got there the church parking lot was blocked off. We parked in a neighboring area and walked to the chapel. Well the sisters who got there after us decided to park in the grass by the road on church property.... They got stuck in the mud.. So about 8 of us elders pushed them out and you wouldn't believe what they did next. They drove down 10 ft and pulled off into the grass again thinking it would work that time.... They got stuck again hahahaha Sometimes I wonder about sisters XD
Zone Meeting was on becoming spiritually reborn. This concept is usually just looked at as being baptized but don't we always have to be spiritually reborn? Conversion is a lifelong process so we constanstly have to renew ourselves and bcome better. I had my first district meeting after the zone meeting and i think it went really well! There is a senior couple, Elder and sister wilson, in my district who are just amazing! He's been a bishop twice and a stake president. I had him teach us about Heavenly Father and who He is. Then I had Sister Wilson talk about the love a parent has for a child. This tied in perfectly for me to teach that we are children of God. As missionaries I'm afraid that since we teach others that they are a child of God all the time, we can lose grasp of that knowledge with ourselves. It was a great reboost to focus on us for once and have a reminder of our divine potential. After Ashland we got home and as we went out to work a couple of the hollows were flooded! The creeks were overflowing and we couldn't go anywhere! So we drove through the water in some spots in order to get to a couple investigators homes. It was wild! The rain has slowed down so the creeks are still high but going down. Everyone always wonders why I would live in Vegas where it's super hot but sometimes I wonder why anyone would settle here because the weather is absolutely crazy! The wise built is house upon a rock so that the floods wouldn't wash him away... ummm I don't know how 18 wheels will do in a flood but I hope It's not foolish to live in a trailer ;P On Sunday we had sacrament but the rest was cancelled so people could get home safely. Sleet is a sneaky thing. President Pitt's Birthday is today so if you could email him or something that would be nice!
President Pitt’s Missionary Truth: “Convincing power leads to converting actions.”

HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I'LL BE SENDING YOUR GIFT A LITTLE LATE BUT YOU'LL HVE IT NEXT WEEK! :) LOVE YA!
 












 
 
     The winter months out here can be quite depressing. it's so cold!! everything is dead! and the sun hardly shines. Gloom and doom no matter what.... The tears freeze before they hit the dirt. jk I'm actually not depressed at all. hahaha I'm happy! A lot has been happening though. We talk to and teach a lot of people who have very unique situations in their lives. The gospel is perfect to help them but it is still hard to bear burdens and overcome some things. The saddest times out here are when the people we love and teach don't keep their committments. When they don't exercize faith and repent. Because when they don't do those things they don't get happier and they don't come closer to Christ. Not only do investigators, members, and whoever else have hard times, but missionaries struggle as well. I've been so blessed to stay optimistic and positive for most of my mission so far. I've been helping another missionary who is having a hard time and it has really taught me alot about myself. I've had a thought before of becoming a psychiatrist so that I could help people but after being able to help other people with deep real problems out here, that thought has become a reality. It's a definite maybe. I mean I've always known that I want my career to be based off of helping others, so that might be it. Ha luckily I have a lot more time to figure things out! There are a few things that are really fulfilling to me: Personal Repentance, helping another person repent, and feeling love from my family. Oh and In N Out too but that is thousands of miles away X( President Pitt and Sister Pitt came to our ward yesterday and spoke in sacrament. I have so much love and respect for them two. As a missionary they are literally like parents because they help us out. Haha tomorrow we actually get to see them again because we have specialized training in Huntington, West Virginia. Oh crap! that reminds me that we have to wash our muddy car! haha all the other areas keep their cars pretty clean but since we are in the hollows our car gets dirty fast. Excited for tomorrow. Elder Cowley and I are singing a song but we still aren't sure what we are singing.... hahaha and it's in front of pres Pitt + 2 zones :P Maybe we'll wing it Nacho Libre style.
CHRISTMAS! I'm extremely anxious to skype on Christmas! I'll let you know all the info before hand! Woo! It sucks not being home and seeing you all constantly so I'm excited to talk face to face :D I remember when we skyped Adam. I loved it. I talk to him and nathan a lot. haha emailing adam back and forth right now! It's always funny talking to them :) I love this time of the year because teaching about Christ's birth is so much fun!

Parts of President Pitts letter this week: Apply it to yourself!
This is a wonderful time of year to review our personal relationship with the Savior, our personal standing with Him, our love for him. We all can hear Elder Holland say, “Do you love Him?” and we could follow-up with “How much do I love Him?” Enough to lay aside thoughts, feelings, actions that are still home, or gentilish in nature? Are the things we do done because we love him? Most of the problems we encounter come because our personal relationship is still wobbly. The gift we can bring to the Giver of all gifts, is the gift of a willing and determined heart—determined to spend our mission in His service as we serve others. In 1John 2:3 “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. Verses 5-6 add: “Whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected; hereby know we, that we are in him. He that saith and abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.” We have been asked, even in the small details, to walk as He walked and talk as He would talk, thus we will be blessed with power to accomplish His purposes here.

Light will forever be one of the greatest symbols of the Christmas season. Not only was there a new star or light in the sky signifying his birth, but in the promised land there was a day, a night, and a day with light which was an unmistakable sign of His coming. Light brings about a new day, and light from the Savior brings an opportunity to begin anew, to start a new day in our life. Where there is total light there is no darkness. Our purpose is to fill ourselves clear to the top with light so there is no room for anything else. We bring the gospel message to others that their lives might obtain this light and bring the comfort and peace they need. Nothing else will substitute for the message of the gospel. Just as the angels, may we be bold in our declaration, that the King of Israel is born and has brought with Him the truths necessary for us to return to His presence. May our light so shine, that others really do want to know our message.

This week, as our twelfth week, we will want to study the birth of Christ. Look up scriptures in the New Testament, Old Testament, and the Book of Mormon, concerning the prophecies of the coming of the Savior. See if you get to know Him better because of what is given to us in these prophecies. How can this study help your relationship with the Christ? This is an important study. We tend to make less mistakes when our relationship with Him is secure and alive. He lives and He loves you so very much. Everywhere we have gone in speaking with stake presidents and Bishops and Branch Presidents, they have all said the same thing, “Thank you for sending us such great missionaries. We have never had such wonderful missionaries before. They work hard; they serve the members and they fulfill assignments. So we thank you for being such a blessing to the mission.

May the Lord bless you all this week. Remember to study about the Savior and make your prayers very meaningful.



We love you, President and Sister Pitt

President Pitt’s missionary truth: “Our objective is not to be popular or to say what someone wants to hear, but to preach repentance.”
 
 
If you could leave a comment for Elder Mackelprang he would LOVE that! He checks this blog every week so a little message for him would mean so much to him. Wish him a Merry Christmas or something :D Thanks!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment